Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Blame it on Butterbean

If you are reading this, you know that my days as a shopkeeper are coming to an end (and hopefully you've been in here to RACK UP on some sweet deals) so that I may continue the next chapter of my life at home trying desperately to keep sane spending quality time with my children. Because I look waaaaay too young to even have children, you may be surprised to know that I have three of them. Sort of. Two of them came out of my actual body, and the other is mine by pure luck, as he was part of a package deal when I married Apple Pie. {Do you ever notice how some people are the spittin' image of a certain food? It's true, although not everyone gets this. If you don't, it's okay, I like you anyway. The Pie doesn't really get it - the food thing. He thinks I am out of my mind. I am not. And I know this because a few people really do get it. When I was a junior in college, my best friend Carrot Cake* and I used to spend the better half of Cognitive Psychology class telling other students what foods they were. They were fascinated. Um, and sometimes not. I remember one girl in particular who didn't take well to being String Cheese. But you are what you are. And she was String Cheese. I love string cheese, don't you? Anyway, as a busy mother of three, I don't have much time these days to think about what food someone is. And as I said before, The Pie thinks I am nuts, so I finally resolved to keep my observations to myself. One day, not too long ago, my 7 year old was looking at himself in the mirror. I watched him as he studied his own face for several minutes. After a while, he proudly proclaimed with a quick nod, "I look like a Tater Tot!". Well as you may imagine, I was just speechless! There he was... blood of my blood, flesh of my flesh, my pride and joy... my Tater Tot. He was right on the money, too. He is a Tater Tot. One who inherited his mother's ability to see people for the food they really are. I have goose bumps right now just thinking about it!} When we got married, I already had Tater Tot, The Pie also already had a son (the Doughnut), and then we decided we'd like one more. So in May, our sweet baby girl, Butterbean, was born. That is how I came to sort of have three children. Those are the children I can't wait to stay home with and love on all day long! If you are going to miss coming in my store (really? you will? love you!!!!) just blame it on Butterbean. I need to see her grow up, although I wish she wouldn't. Oh, and I will miss you too.

To save you the trouble of finding a new place to shop ('cause I am nice like that), I will soon have a comprehensive website, and I will continue to sell and print invitations, stationery, birth announcements, wedding invitations, etc. Butterbean and I will offer local delivery, too, as I have a fancy new carseat that I want to get my money's worth out of. ( And P.S., it isn't a carseat anymore, so let me save you the embarrassment of asking for one at that baby megastore. It is a Travel System, people. Said so right on the box. ) So we have our System and we are gonna Travel. My best selling gifts, custom plates, placemats, bag tags, calling cards, sippy cup labels and more will also be offered on the website. So spread the word, tell your friends, and don't forget to call your mama and them. I mean hey, I can't just give it up cold turkey...I love what I do too much!

And that's the truth, y'all!

www.m-bellished.com

*Don't have a best friend? Make your own:

CARROT CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE ICING (If you make this with a different kind of icing, please don't tell me about it. Carrot Cake with any other kind of icing is an abomination and should not be made, much less served)


2 cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups grated carrots
1 1/3 vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup drained crushed pineapple
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Preparation: Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add carrots, oil, and eggs. Beat until well mixed. Stir in remaining ingredients. Put batter in two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 1 hour.

Cream Cheese Icing:


1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese
1 tablespoon warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

Preparation:Beat cream cheese with water and vanilla; gradually add sugar, beating until smooth and spreading consistency. Makes 1 1/2 cups, enough to frost top and sides of a 9-inch square cake or top of a 13 x 9-inch cake. Double recipe for a layer cake.

5 comments:

CCW said...

Happy to see you out here -- site looks AH-DOR-AH-BULL!

The Birds Nest said...

Hey girl!! Glad to see you in the blog world. Your blog will be a riot, I am sure. I'm excited for you about the online store. Are you going to be carrying open stock? By the way...what food am I?

Anonymous said...

Marla, love your blog! Never did mention what food you are??? Henry is a tater tot! How funny!! Glad to hear everything is going well for you!! Take care.

Anne said...

I love it! And I totally agree with you about the carrot cake/cream cheese icing combo.

A Geer said...

a must read, for sure